Saturday, February 10, 2007

My New Baby

Today was a special day at our house. A week and a half ago with the blessing and encouragement of my family, I bought a mini. It is something I had been thinking about for awhile. One of my 4-H National Hippology team girls was selling her baby mini born in May 2005. He was within my budget from birthday and Christmas gifts so I bought him. She wanted to deliver him and was very excited that I bought him. Even though I am over 50 my love for equines has not diminished and I figured I would be able to handle one this size. I do get along well with my daughter's curly horse that is here while she is at college but he is not mine.
Cooper arrived today in a full size horse trailer, he was very dignified as he jumped out of the trailer. He sized the place up and decided he liked it here as there were other equines to get to know. We took him into the arena and walked him around and let him sniff the mini next to him who is here to keep our curly company. He played the toddler mouth game and then walked away. We turned him loose and he ran and bucked in glee. He really seamed happy to express himself. He checked out his new house and pen and gave it a hoof up. He did panic a bit when his trailer left but settled into getting to know his neighbor better. Gave him some hay and he munched away. He called several times in his cute young mini whinny but didn't seem too upset. I took a chair out and sat and read a book for awhile. He thoroughly checked me out and nibbled on my coat but that zipper just wasn't edible. He stepped on my foot as he was attempting to get as close as he could but did let me have it back, no bruises here, he's too mini!!! After he gave me his approval he munched more hay but came back regularly for a pat or scratch. Our relationship has begun!!!

No comments: